Saturday, June 2, 2007

More about the "GOOD OLD DAYS"!!

I remembered afew other things about the 30s--We did not have running water -we had to pump all our water and heat in in the wood burning cookstove in the kitchen. We had a heating stove in the living room which also burned wood. In winter unless you were right by the stove it was cold. Also we had an outdoor toilet(outhouse) That was cold in winter too!!As kids we wore long underwear to keep warm. We had no electricity so we had kerosene lamps and lanterns. I have a kerosene lamp now in case the electricity goes off. It is neat to have lived thru these times but I am glad we do not have to live like that now!! Think of all the changes just in my life time--TV ,Computers, cell phones,micro wave ovens,digital cameras & that is just a fewthat I can think of right off the bat!!
Last week I decided I wanted to make some scones so I looked thru my cookbooks & could not find a recipe.!It was not a good day for me that day. First ,I did not get my daily paper delivered which makes me cranky and then I decided OK I will watch Price Is Right and Pres Bush was on with a speech --in the morning yet!! Well I finally remembered the computer & I got the recipe for scones-- then I did not have butter or cream that the recipe called for! By this time it is afternoon so I just gave up and took a nap. I did make some scones the next day after going to the store and they turned out just great!!

2 comments:

DD4 said...

I'm anxious to taste those scones!

I Love Barbershop said...

The scones sound delicious. I have a Cinnamon Chip Scone at Caribou Coffee every other day in the morning on my way out to Guest Service Center.
I love reading your growing up stories. Really makes all of us thankful for what we had and have now. You should write a book, Aunt Liz.